Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Maryland Institute College of Art Halls


If my dorm looked like this, I think I would never want to leave my room. This is a 99000 sq-ft student residence hall designed by young architects from London for the young residences. I love the idea of having a courtyard in this circular structure. Not only does it provide more sunlight into the rooms, it provides an area where students can idle around, sipping lattes in cafes.  The courtyard also encourages the use of green space. I personally love big windows. I love glass. I love how the reflections of images and colours on the glass can mix to create a beautiful allusion. 



The design is very modern. Like most efficient buildings, and as I believe how condos and apartments should be, this structure has integrated commercial space with housing. Some people believe that these two should be separated. I live where I live. I work where I work. I shop where I shop. With climate change being such a heated issue in our world today, it is important to encourage the goal of working close to home or, living in the city. 

I used to want to live in the rural area because I loved the nature, the serenity of the breeze and sunlight and the absence of noise. However, the fast-paced part of me hoped to live in the city, to feel integrated with the community. It is important to be part of something because you develop more knowledge and it is just more convenient. There is no reason why you cannot have both. Our society is so fast-paced that we need to make wise use of our time and live as efficiently and as comfortably at the same time. 

I digress. 



My point is, my parents have conservative minds. They seem to think that you cannot integrate your home, your study area and recreational area. I realize that this isn't the first project ever built that integrated commercial space and housing, but I am using this project to emphasize my point. I believe our world is progressing faster than ever before and I believe that we will only design more sustainable, more beautiful and intelligent buildings in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment