Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

{{ the potatoes of Asia }}

Sunday I went shopping. The metro was packed with young lovers, doing last minute shopping for Valentine's Day. I was starving when I arrived at the Central Park station. I went to Talee, which is one of the oldest department stores in Kaohsiung. Being a food addict, I went right to the food court.

This is a new restaurant in the food court. Their specialties include sticky rice, zhongzhi, white carrot cake, and wongua (in Taiwanese). I totally made up the spelling for this because I don't know what it's called in Mandarin. Anyhow, I decided to get this because it's been such a long time since I've last had wongua.


Wongua is made from rice. First, the grains of rice are milled into powdered form. Then, with water, the mixture is steamed in a bowl to get the shape as shown above. There is meat inside the bowl-shaped wongua and it is served with minced meat and diced, dried white carrot on top.

It is quite delicious and the taste of it, so nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment